Inspired plant-based cooking can be pretty daunting. Whether you’re simply trying to eat less meat or you’re cutting out animal products, it can be challenging to make a plate of plants appealing. With a couple of tips and a handful of secret ingredients, however, you’ll be a vegan kitchen boss in no time.
As a starter check out this easy and delicious “Flavorful Mushroom & Kale Stroganoff” that will make you fall in love with vegan recipes if you’re not already…:
- 250 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 100 g kale, roughly chopped (tough stems removed)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp French mustard
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 175 ml oat-based cooking cream (can be substituted with other plant-based cooking cream of preference)
- 300 ml boiling water
- 2 tsp corn starch + 2 tbsp cold water
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp veg. oil or plant-based butter for frying
Serve with: rice, pasta or mashed potatoes.
– Heat oil or butter in a skillet, sauté onions and garlic on medium heat until onions are translucent. Then add the mushrooms and fry until slightly crispy and browned. Add kale and stir-fry for another minute.
– Add mustard, soy sauce, thyme, cooking cream, boiling water, salt & pepper. Stir and let simmer on medium low heat for 3-4 minutes.
– Mix corn starch with water and add to the pan, stir until the sauce thickens then remove from heat. Add more boiling water if you want it more saucy or more corn starch slurry if you want it thicker. Adjust with more salt/pepper/thyme to your liking.
– Serve with rice, pasta or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!