Inspired plant-based cooking can be pretty daunting. Whether you’re simply trying to eat less meat or you’re cutting out animal products, it can be challenging to make a plate of plants appealing. With a couple of tips and a handful of secret ingredients, however, you’ll be a vegan kitchen boss in no time.
As a starter check out this easy and delicious “French Toast Roll Ups” that will make you fall in love with vegan recipes if you’re not already…:
- 1⁄2 cup (125mL) unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1⁄2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- (can sub with wholemeal instead)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- Fillings of choice: Eg. Vegan cream cheese + strawberries, choc spread + banana, peanut butter + crushed roasted peanuts
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the milk, flour, nutritional yeast, cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt.
- Cut the crusts off the bread (don’t throw them out! I like to dip them in any remaining milk mixture and fry them up), then use a rolling pin to flatten out each slice. Spread and add your desired fillings along the bottom of the slice of bread then tightly roll up.
- Melt vegan butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Dip each roll in the milk mixture to cover all sides. Drip off any excess, then place in the pan, seam-side down. Cook until golden brown all over.
- To serve, stack the roll ups on each plate into a pile, then top with fresh fruit. Dust with icing sugar then drizzle with melted vegan chocolate or maple syrup.
*Note: Simply sub for GF flour and bread to make this recipe GF.