When I started eating lots of vegan recipes, at first it seemed daunting. How would I feed myself? But i quickly realized they can be some of the most creative, delicious and beautiful recipes out there!
Fast forward to today, and i’ve devoted my life to inspiring people to eat lots of vegetables in delicious ways. My forte? Veggie-packed recipes that are tasty, healthy, and pretty simple to make. You have 3 chances per day to eat yummy foods plant based. Why not start now?
This “Grilled Cabbage Wraps” makes eating food plant-based fun, healthy, and most importantly: delicious!
- 3 cups cooked rice (used glutinous rice or sub with other rice)
- about 15-20 cabbage leaves
- 3/4 cup kale stems, finely chopped (or use broccoli stem)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped – optional (used mini King Oyster mushrooms)
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
- oil for cooking, salt to taste
Seasoning (see step):
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce/tamari, pepper,
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, salt & pepper to taste
Sauce (optional, cabbage wraps can be served as is):
- Whisk together
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce/tamari,
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup,
- 1 tablespoon mirin,
- 1 chopped Thai chilis (optional) salt & pepper in 1/2 cup water until well combined.
- To make the filling, heat a non-stick pan with 1 teaspoon oil, sauté ginger until fragrant, add mushrooms, cook for 1-2mins. Add kale stems & continue to cook for about 30 secs, turn off the heat.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl, then add carrots, cooked rice & mix well with seasoning ingredients. Taste test
- Bring a pot of water to boil, blanch cabbage leaves for about 45secs. Remove & quickly plunge them in icy water to stop the cooking.
- Place one cabbage leaf on a cleaned surface. Add a heaping spoon of filling in the middle, fold in the sides & wrap to seal. (Note: more filling for a larger leaf). Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- In a heated non-stick pan with 1 teaspoon oil, place as many cabbage wraps as will fit in one layer in the pan. Cook until both sides are nicely browned, flipping in halfway.
- Sauce: Add the sauce ingredients in a pan, then bring it to simmer & cook until slightly thickened.
- Drizzle sauce on the cabbage wraps & garnish with sesame seeds & chopped cilantro.