I’m here to help you do Veganuary your way. Cooking vegan meals might seem daunting, but egg-, meat- and dairy-free recipes can be easy and delicious. From alternative versions of your family favourites to new veg-packed ideas, I’ve got plenty of vegan recipes for you like this amazing “Savory Skillet Stew with Baby Potato Topping” that we will make together today:
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 4 vegan Italian sausages, cut into 1/4″ slices
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4″ slices
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup apple cider (can substitute red or white wine)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes, optional
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, optional
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold water
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Potato Topping
- 1.3 lbs potatoes, cut in slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- course salt
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a skillet over med-high heat. Once hot, add the mushrooms. Do not salt! Stir occasionally only to prevent burning and for even searing. Once seared on most sides, remove the mushrooms from the skillet and set aside.
In the same skillet, heat 2 tbsp of oil. sear the sausage slices on both sides. This should take 1-2 min per side. Remove sausage from skillet.
If needed, add 1 tbsp olive oil to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Sauté onion until translucent. Add celery, carrots and garlic to the skillet. Deglaze with cider, scraping the bottom of the skillet to get all of the flavors into the liquid. Bring to a simmer and reduce the liquid by half.
Whisk in tomato paste, vegan Worcestershire, soy sauce, and brown sugar, spices. Add the kidney beans, canned tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes. Simmer for about 5 min, or until the volume reduces so you have at least 1/2″ of space above the stew for the potatoes.
Whisk water with flour until a smooth paste is formed. slowly drizzle the paste into the center of stew and whisk constantly. Stirring constantly, cook until gravy has thickened. Taste, add salt if desired. Turn the heat off.
Toss the baby potato slices with the olive oil. Layer them over stew, Sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake for 25-30 min or until potatoes are cooked. Enjoy!