Looking for the best vegan recipes? This blog will help you cut out meat, dairy, and other animal products—and all recipes here prove that vegan food is anything but bland. After all, so many of the flavors we spice our meats with are plant-based: onions, garlic, spices, herbs…and so on. So today im happy to walk you through and yummy and tasty vegan recipes named “Tofu Katsu Noodle Bowl”:
- 3 servings of noodles choice – cooked based on package’s instructions
- 14oz firm tofu, pressed to remove liquid
- blanched veggies (used bok choy) and garlic oil (optional)
- oil for frying
- panko breadcrumbs as needed
Noodle sauce (for 3 servings):
- Mix together 3 tablespoons soy sauce/tamari, 2 tablespoons vegan ‘oyster’ sauce, 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce (thick), 3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, a few shakes of white pepper until well combined. Set aside until ready to use (adjust taste accordingly).
yields 3 servings
To prepare the tofu, cut the tofu into 3 large slabs then press them in between towels to remove moisture. Season with salt.
For the batter, mix together 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 – 3/4 cup ice-cold water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, a few shakes of white pepper until well-combined. The batter’s consistency should be thick, if not, add more flour. Dredge tofu in the batter, shake off excess & coat with panko breadcrumbs. Lightly press breadcrumbs into the tofu. Heat up a non-stick pan with a thin layer of oil (enough to cover 1/3 of the tofu height), shallow pan-fry until golden brown on both sides. Try not to flip until one side is fully cooked through. Remove & set tofu on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
Then, cook noodles (used Sun Noodles) based on the package’s instructions & toss them with noodle sauce until all noodles are well coated. Season accordingly, if needed. Finally, serve tofu Katsu with noodles & blanched veggies. Enjoy!
Tip for crunchy tofu : a thick batter for coating & press the panko onto the slab before pan-frying. To complete the meal, you can serve it with blanched veggies and add a drizzle of garlic oil on top.